Friday, September 6, 2013

Parenthood is Tricky


Parenthood Is Tricky

Parenthood is tricky.  It is difficult to see inside the minds of our little ones.  Every once in a while I get a glimpse of my children and the way they think.  Sometimes that’s a good thing; sometimes it can be a little SCARY!
   
There are the days that I think I am a great mom!  Most days, though, I think I kind of suck!  There are nights, after the kids go to bed, I sit in a daze and wonder "what the hell just happened today?  How did things get so out of control with the raising of our kids?   I try and figure out at exactly what point in the day I lost control and went from trying to be “super mom” to being just “getting through the day until bedtime mom”.

For example, I worry when my daughter comes down in short shorts shaking her little hips, and I think “please lord, don't let her be a stripper”!  I worry about my son being so lazy, is he going to be living off of us when he is thirty like those people on Dr. Phil?

I think, as does every mom, that at the end of the day, all I want is for my children to be good and loving people who will contribute to society.  I want them to know that with every ounce of my being I love them – unconditionally – through the swinging hips and lazy couch days!

So here’s where my kids stump me.   Here’s where I get an actual glimpse of my child and some positive proof that I’m actually doing something right.  The other day my son London was having a medical procedure. Of course even the smallest medical procedure is scary as hell for a parent; you’re placing your most prized possession in the hands of a stranger. Needless to say, I was stressed watching my baby boy lay in a stretcher knowing they would take him away from me soon.  Well, soon enough came soon enough.  It was time for him to go back.   I leaned over, kissed him a hundred times and told him I would be right there when he woke up. I sat in the waiting room losing my mind until I could see him again.  It was a quick procedure and even though it felt like hours, in just a little while they were calling his name. My husband and I spoke to the doctor and then were allowed to go to recovery to see London.

     There, in the big stretcher, was my beautiful little boy, wide awake and smiling at me. I walked in and hugged and kissed him with such relief. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a Sprite AND a Coke can both sitting on the counter. The nurse must have seen me looking at the drinks and told me there was a story behind it.
     She said she had asked London what he wanted to drink. The nurse listed off the drinks they had and he asked for a Sprite. He then asked the nurse if it was possible, to get a coke for his mommy because his mommy loved coke and she seemed a little upset earlier; thinking it might make her feel better.  Wait.  What?        
 I wanted to cry. My son who had been through so much was worried about ME and thought about ME!      What?   Wait.    

What a glimpse!
Today, for just a little while, I was a super mom!

Today, being a mom was not so tricky after all.


-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment