Friday, October 4, 2013

My Daughter NOT the tree!

     I begin this blog knowing in advance that I will probably upset some people.  Please cut my hypocrisy some slack and understand I am a heartbroken mom who can't stand by for another fifth year to witness her daughter's heart broken.  Jerry Seinfeld's mom's heart was probably broken when she listened to him try and sell light-bulbs over the phone.  Or Brad Pitt dancing in a chicken mascot costume at a restaurant?  My heart would break too.  Whoopi Goldberg worked in a mortuary.  Julia Roberts sold shoes at an Athletic Foot Store.  Madonna worked at Dunkin Donuts.. So on and so on.

      Getting your first start in acting is rough. But it shouldn't be.  It just shouldn't be.

      My oldest daughter Susanna is 10 years old.  She is in the fifth grade and in her last year of elementary school.  OK.  My Susanna is amazing.  Really.  She is.  She is beautiful, smart, funny, happy, and honestly one of the sweetest people I have ever known. 

Truly. She is.

     Every school year since kindergarten beginning in August, Susanna begins looking forward to the start of the Drama Club.  She practices her expressions and accents; for weeks she acts out every commercial she watches on television.

Then, the lines for tryouts are given out.

     Every year she has practiced and practiced.  Right up until the last minute of the beginning of the first try out.
 
     Then she auditions.  We wait days anxiously and then.........she does NOT make the play!

     So for five years she has NOT made the drama club!  WHAT?

     Here is where my hypocrisy comes in.  I am the mom that always thinks it is annoying that on field day either nobody or everybody gets a ribbon.  I feel like if you are faster and you win, you should actually win.  I think it is so annoying that the school system doesn't want there to be a winner and loser because life is filled with winners and losers.  Our kids need to know how to work hard for something and the thrill of the win.

     This leaves me in a yucky position because according to my usual beliefs Susanna should not get into the drama club if she isn't as good as some of the others.  The problem is that she is my kid and she has tried so hard for soooo long and shouldn't that count for something?

     I know this is a double standard but.....well I guess but nothing.  So here is the letter I wrote to the school in response to her fifth denial in her fifth year:

Dear Drama Club Leaders,
     My name is Jennifer.  I know that you have no idea who I am because in the past five years my daughter has never made it past tryouts, so the opportunity for us to meet has never presented itself.  I am a firm believer that those who are the best should be the ones that are rewarded.  However I also believe that the hard work and determination my daughter has exemplified in the past five years should count for something.  I totally understand I am not the mother to the next "Drew Barrymore".  I totally understand that you need to choose the best for the play but honestly after five years and numerous attempts by my daughter could you really not just out of the goodness of your heart have made her a tree? A shrub? A sun?  Anything?  I think that at the very least you could have let her help decorate or hand out pamphlets on the night of the play!  My daughter being the person she is will of course be a good sport and continue to show support of the play and the chosen children.  Honestly that is how she is!  I on the other hand hope your play really sucks!  In case you ever get curious as to who I am please just look out your window on field day......I will be the mom handing out ribbons to the winners.
                                                        Thanks for all your support,
                                                                                         Jennifer

   You know what?  I hope my Susanna continues to persevere.  I hope that she never, ever lets go of her dreams of one day being in the Drama Club; because if Jerry, Brad, Whoopi, Julia and Madonna gave up on their dreams, the movie screen would be void of some pretty amazing talent.
             
   -Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment