Sunday, October 20, 2013

Explaining Yourself

Anyone out there ever feel the need to explain that something you weren't in the room for wasn't your fault?  My wife and daughter went to bed last night and were lying in her bed when I walked in.  Nothing special so far, and this occurrence isn't uncommon.  However, my other daughter - the six month old one - has had trouble sleeping all night recently after doing it like a champ for a couple of months.

Before heading into my bedroom, I went into Rachel's room to check on them.  Just as I step foot in there, Amelia starts crying.  The first words out of my mouth were, "I swear I didn't go into her room at all and do anything."

This was a defense mechanism.  My wife has done extraordinary things with taking care of Amelia, but I know that the late night work sometimes makes her edgy, so I have to do all I can to not disturb the Little Miss and pre-empt the sleep cycle.  I've done this before, and the scathing looks could melt butter.

Sherry didn't scold me or say anything.  She just got up and headed to Amelia's room to quiet our daughter.  I sat down on Rachel's bed to tell her good night and that I loved her, and what were the first words out of her mouth?

"Daddy, you really shouldn't have woken Amelia up."

I can't win unless I strap a camera to my face 24/7...and even then the outcome would be far from certain.

Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment